Mobility in Crescent, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Crescent, MO can develop solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and comfort as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Crescent, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on the couch. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Crescent, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Crescent, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Crescent, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to ensure that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Crescent, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can put food on the table for your Crescent, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Crescent, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Crescent, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Crescent, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Crescent, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Crescent, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Crescent, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Crescent, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Crescent, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Crescent, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Crescent, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.