Mobility in Lakeshire, MO. Our bodies are designed to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Lakeshire, MO can develop safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Lakeshire, MO residents that may mean getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Lakeshire, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely get around their home. This includes anything from moving around in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting down. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Lakeshire, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you restore your independence. Whether the condition affecting you is a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Lakeshire, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Lakeshire, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Lakeshire, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs pain-free. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Lakeshire, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Lakeshire, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Lakeshire, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Lakeshire, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and formulate an effective plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Lakeshire, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Lakeshire, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Lakeshire, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Lakeshire, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Lakeshire, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- If applicable, the potential to avoid surgery by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Lakeshire, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Lakeshire, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.