Mobility in Campbellton, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Campbellton, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to get results and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and comfort as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like rolling over in bed without pain, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Campbellton, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on the couch. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Campbellton, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether the condition affecting you is a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Campbellton, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Campbellton, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Campbellton, MO
To be sure, simply rolling over in bed without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can provide for your Campbellton, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Campbellton, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Campbellton, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Campbellton, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Campbellton, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Campbellton, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Having equal muscle balance around joints is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Campbellton, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Campbellton, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Campbellton, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Campbellton, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Campbellton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.