Mobility in Oakville, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Oakville, MO can create safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and comfort now by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Oakville, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely move around in their home environment. This includes anything from moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Oakville, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your autonomy back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Oakville, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Oakville, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Oakville, MO
To be sure, simply rolling over in bed comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Oakville, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Oakville, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Oakville, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Oakville, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop an effective game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Oakville, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Oakville, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
- Vision issues
- A vestibular issue, or a problem in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the sense of awareness ingrained in our muscles and joints
A licensed physical therapist in Oakville, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Oakville, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Oakville, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Movement health education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Oakville, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Oakville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.