Mobility in Valley Park, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Valley Park, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and comfort now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like walking up the stairs comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Valley Park, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This includes simple tasks such as moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Valley Park, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you restore your independence. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Valley Park, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Valley Park, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to ensure that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Valley Park, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed comfortably. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Valley Park, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Valley Park, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Valley Park, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Valley Park, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Valley Park, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Valley Park, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Having equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A professional physical therapist in Valley Park, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Valley Park, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Valley Park, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Valley Park, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Valley Park, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.