Mobility in Eureka, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Eureka, MO offers safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life now by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while for others it may mean serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Eureka, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Eureka, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your independence. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Eureka, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Eureka, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Eureka, MO
Of course, simply rolling over in bed pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to play with, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can provide for your Eureka, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Eureka, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Eureka, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Eureka, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Eureka, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Eureka, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Eureka, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Eureka, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Eureka, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Eureka, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Eureka, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.