Mobility in New Town, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in New Town, MO can create solutions that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean walking up the stairs without pain, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in New Town, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one place to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the New Town, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to assess functional mobility in New Town, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in New Town, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in New Town, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without assistance. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to earn a living for your New Town, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our New Town, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to contributing to our New Town, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our New Town, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your New Town, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in New Town, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
- Problems with eyesight
- A vestibular issue, or a problem in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the receptors in our muscles that monitor length, tension, pressure and noxious stimuli
A professional physical therapist in New Town, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in New Town, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in New Town, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in New Town, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in New Town, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We take a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.