Mobility in Florissant, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Florissant, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible movement health and comfort as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Florissant, MO residents that looks like getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Florissant, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Florissant, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your independence back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll develop a personalized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Florissant, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Florissant, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Florissant, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs without limitations does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, your pets to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Florissant, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Florissant, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Florissant, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Florissant, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Florissant, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Florissant, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are commonly due to:
A professional physical therapist in Florissant, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Florissant, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Florissant, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Florissant, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Florissant, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.