Mobility in Creve Coeur, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Creve Coeur, MO can create treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Creve Coeur, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Creve Coeur, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Creve Coeur, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Creve Coeur, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Creve Coeur, MO
Needless to say, simply being to move between chairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, your children to play with, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Creve Coeur, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Creve Coeur, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Creve Coeur, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is an unexpected injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. Our Creve Coeur, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Creve Coeur, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Creve Coeur, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Problems with balance are usually caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Creve Coeur, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Creve Coeur, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Creve Coeur, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Creve Coeur, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Creve Coeur, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location that works best for you.