Mobility in Town and Country, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it prevents us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Town and Country, MO offers solutions that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as picking up their kids without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Town and Country, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This includes anything from moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Town and Country, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you restore your freedom. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Town and Country, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Town and Country, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Town and Country, MO
Needless to say, simply rolling over in bed without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Town and Country, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Town and Country, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Town and Country, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Town and Country, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and formulate a successful strategy to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Town and Country, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Town and Country, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
- Vision issues
- A vestibular disorder, or a problem in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the sense of awareness ingrained in our muscles and joints
A licensed physical therapist in Town and Country, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Town and Country, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Town and Country, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Town and Country, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Town and Country, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.