Mobility in New Haven, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in New Haven, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in New Haven, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This can be simple tasks such as moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the New Haven, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
New Haven, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone close by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in New Haven, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in New Haven, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs pain-free. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to provide for your New Haven, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our New Haven, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our New Haven, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in New Haven, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your New Haven, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in New Haven, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in New Haven, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in New Haven, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in New Haven, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in New Haven, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in New Haven, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We pride ourselves on our leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.