Mobility in Augusta, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Augusta, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Augusta, MO residents that may mean walking up the stairs without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Augusta, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely move around in their home environment. This includes anything from getting in and out of bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on a chair. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Augusta, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a personalized plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to determine functional mobility in Augusta, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Augusta, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Augusta, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without assistance. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Augusta, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Augusta, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Augusta, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Augusta, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a proven plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Augusta, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Augusta, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Augusta, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Augusta, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Augusta, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Augusta, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Augusta, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We take a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.