Mobility in Chesterfield, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Chesterfield, MO offers safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and comfort as soon as possible by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean picking up their grandchildren comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Chesterfield, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes anything from moving around in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on a chair. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Chesterfield, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your independence back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a tailor-made plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to assess functional mobility in Chesterfield, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Chesterfield, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Chesterfield, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture pain-free. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to provide for your Chesterfield, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Chesterfield, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Chesterfield, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is an unexpected fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Chesterfield, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a successful plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Chesterfield, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Chesterfield, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A licensed physical therapist in Chesterfield, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Chesterfield, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Chesterfield, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to increased energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Chesterfield, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Chesterfield, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.