Mobility in Weldon Spring Heights, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Weldon Spring Heights, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and a pain-free daily life now by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like walking up the stairs without pain, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one surface to a different one, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Weldon Spring Heights, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your independence back. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Weldon Spring Heights, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Weldon Spring Heights, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without assistance. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day so that you can earn a living for your Weldon Spring Heights, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Weldon Spring Heights, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Weldon Spring Heights, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Weldon Spring Heights, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Weldon Spring Heights, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Weldon Spring Heights, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Weldon Spring Heights, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Weldon Spring Heights, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.