Mobility in Concord, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Concord, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are built specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible movement health and comfort now by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Concord, MO residents that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Concord, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely get around their home. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Concord, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your independence back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Concord, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone close by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Concord, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Concord, MO
To be sure, simply rolling over in bed without limitations does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Concord, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Concord, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Concord, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Concord, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Concord, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Concord, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Concord, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Concord, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Concord, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Concord, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Concord, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.