Mobility in Scotsdale, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Scotsdale, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean walking up the stairs comfortably, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Scotsdale, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This includes anything from moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Scotsdale, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your autonomy back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Scotsdale, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Scotsdale, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Scotsdale, MO
To be sure, simply rolling over in bed without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Scotsdale, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Scotsdale, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Scotsdale, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Scotsdale, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Scotsdale, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Scotsdale, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
- Vision issues
- A vestibular disorder, or something in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the receptors in our muscles that monitor length, tension, pressure and noxious stimuli
A professional physical therapist in Scotsdale, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Scotsdale, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Scotsdale, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Scotsdale, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Scotsdale, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.