Mobility in Peerless Park, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Peerless Park, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and comfort now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Peerless Park, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Peerless Park, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you restore your autonomy. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Peerless Park, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Peerless Park, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Peerless Park, MO
Obviously, simply being to move between chairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can put food on the table for your Peerless Park, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Peerless Park, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Peerless Park, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Peerless Park, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a successful plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Peerless Park, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Peerless Park, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
An experienced physical therapist in Peerless Park, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the activities you love. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Peerless Park, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Peerless Park, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Peerless Park, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Peerless Park, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.