Mobility in Truesdale, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Truesdale, MO can implement safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a chronic condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and comfort now by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Truesdale, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Truesdale, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your independence. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Truesdale, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone standing by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Truesdale, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Truesdale, MO
Of course, simply rolling over in bed pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to put food on the table for your Truesdale, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Truesdale, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Truesdale, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Truesdale, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Truesdale, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Truesdale, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Truesdale, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Truesdale, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Truesdale, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Truesdale, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Truesdale, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We take a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.