Mobility in Ballwin, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Ballwin, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as picking up their kids without pain, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Ballwin, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This includes simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting down. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Ballwin, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Ballwin, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone next to you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Ballwin, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to ensure that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Ballwin, MO
To be sure, simply walking up the stairs comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can provide for your Ballwin, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Ballwin, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Ballwin, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Ballwin, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Ballwin, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Ballwin, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Ballwin, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Ballwin, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Ballwin, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Ballwin, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Ballwin, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.