Mobility in Berkeley, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Berkeley, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Berkeley, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Berkeley, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Berkeley, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Berkeley, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Berkeley, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs comfortably. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your pets to play with, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can provide for your Berkeley, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Berkeley, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Berkeley, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Berkeley, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop a proven strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Berkeley, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Berkeley, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly due to:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Berkeley, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Berkeley, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Berkeley, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Berkeley, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Berkeley, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.