Mobility in Winfield, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Winfield, MO can create solutions that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief now by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Winfield, MO residents that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while for others it may mean serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Winfield, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on a chair. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Winfield, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your autonomy back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Winfield, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Winfield, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Winfield, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs without assistance. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day in order to provide for your Winfield, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Winfield, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Winfield, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Winfield, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and develop a successful strategy to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Winfield, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Winfield, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
A licensed physical therapist in Winfield, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If required, a physical therapist in Winfield, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Winfield, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Winfield, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Winfield, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.