Mobility in Gray Summit, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Gray Summit, MO offers safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are built specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and comfort as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Gray Summit, MO residents that looks like rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Gray Summit, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one surface to a different one, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Gray Summit, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you regain your freedom. Whether the condition affecting you is a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a personalized plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to assess functional mobility in Gray Summit, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Gray Summit, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Gray Summit, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs independently. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Gray Summit, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Gray Summit, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Gray Summit, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Gray Summit, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Gray Summit, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Gray Summit, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are commonly caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Gray Summit, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Gray Summit, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Gray Summit, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Gray Summit, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Gray Summit, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.