Mobility in Calverton Park, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Calverton Park, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are built specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life now by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Calverton Park, MO residents that looks like rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Calverton Park, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to a different one, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Calverton Park, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your freedom back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Calverton Park, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Calverton Park, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Calverton Park, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to play with, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Calverton Park, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Calverton Park, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Calverton Park, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Calverton Park, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop a successful strategy to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Calverton Park, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Calverton Park, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A licensed physical therapist in Calverton Park, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Calverton Park, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Calverton Park, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Calverton Park, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Calverton Park, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.