Mobility in Preston Woods, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Preston Woods, MO offers safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Preston Woods, MO residents that may mean getting in and out of a chair without pain, while for others it may mean serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Preston Woods, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting down. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Preston Woods, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your independence back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Preston Woods, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Preston Woods, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Preston Woods, MO
To be sure, simply being to move between chairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, your pets to play with, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to provide for your Preston Woods, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Preston Woods, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Preston Woods, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is an unexpected injury that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Preston Woods, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Preston Woods, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Preston Woods, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Preston Woods, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Preston Woods, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Preston Woods, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Preston Woods, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Preston Woods, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.