Mobility in Dellwood, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Dellwood, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair without pain, while others need to get back to serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever it means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Dellwood, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on the couch. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Dellwood, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your freedom back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Dellwood, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Dellwood, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Dellwood, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed independently. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Dellwood, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Dellwood, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Dellwood, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. Our Dellwood, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful strategy to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Dellwood, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Dellwood, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Dellwood, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Dellwood, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Dellwood, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Dellwood, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Dellwood, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We pride ourselves on our an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.