Mobility in Leadington, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Leadington, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean getting in and out of a chair without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Leadington, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely get around their home. This includes simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Leadington, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Leadington, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Leadington, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Leadington, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without assistance. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Leadington, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Leadington, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Leadington, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Leadington, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Leadington, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Leadington, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A professional physical therapist in Leadington, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Leadington, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Leadington, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Movement health education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Leadington, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Leadington, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We employ a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.