Mobility in Desoto, MO. Our bodies are designed to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Desoto, MO can develop safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean walking up the stairs comfortably, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Desoto, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to a different one, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Desoto, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you restore your autonomy. Whether the condition affecting you is a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Desoto, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Desoto, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Desoto, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture pain-free. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you perform every day in order to provide for your Desoto, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Desoto, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Desoto, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Desoto, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a successful strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Desoto, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Desoto, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
A professional physical therapist in Desoto, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Desoto, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Desoto, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Desoto, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Desoto, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We take a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.