Mobility in Huntleigh, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Huntleigh, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like picking up their grandchildren without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Huntleigh, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be simple tasks such as moving around in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting on the couch. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to a different one, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Huntleigh, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your freedom back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to determine functional mobility in Huntleigh, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Huntleigh, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Huntleigh, MO
Needless to say, simply being to move between chairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Huntleigh, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Huntleigh, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Huntleigh, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Huntleigh, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and develop a proven plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Huntleigh, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Huntleigh, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A licensed physical therapist in Huntleigh, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Huntleigh, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Huntleigh, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Huntleigh, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Huntleigh, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.