Mobility in Pinckney, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Pinckney, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean getting in and out of a chair without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Pinckney, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Pinckney, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you regain your self-sufficiency. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Pinckney, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Pinckney, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Pinckney, MO
Of course, simply walking up the stairs without limitations does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Pinckney, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Pinckney, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Pinckney, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is an unexpected injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Pinckney, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Pinckney, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Pinckney, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are usually due to:
A professional physical therapist in Pinckney, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Pinckney, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Pinckney, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Pinckney, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Pinckney, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.