Mobility in Womack, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Womack, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to get results and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean walking up the stairs without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Womack, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on the couch. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one surface to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Womack, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your independence back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Womack, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without assistance and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Womack, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Womack, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture comfortably. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Womack, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Womack, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Womack, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Womack, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Womack, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Womack, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A licensed physical therapist in Womack, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Womack, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Womack, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Womack, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Womack, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.