Mobility in Beaufort, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Beaufort, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal movement health and a pain-free daily life now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like walking up the stairs comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever it means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Beaufort, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting on the couch. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Beaufort, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll develop a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Beaufort, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Beaufort, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Beaufort, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without limitations. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your children to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Beaufort, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Beaufort, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Beaufort, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Beaufort, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Beaufort, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Beaufort, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Beaufort, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Beaufort, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Beaufort, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Beaufort, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Beaufort, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We take a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.