Mobility in Gilmore, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Gilmore, MO can develop safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Gilmore, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on a chair. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Gilmore, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Gilmore, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Gilmore, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Gilmore, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed comfortably. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to play with, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day in order to provide for your Gilmore, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Gilmore, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Gilmore, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Gilmore, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Gilmore, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Gilmore, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly due to:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Gilmore, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Gilmore, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Gilmore, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Gilmore, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Gilmore, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.