Mobility in Old Jamestown, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Old Jamestown, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as walking up the stairs comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Old Jamestown, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on a chair. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Old Jamestown, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Old Jamestown, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Old Jamestown, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Old Jamestown, MO
Of course, simply walking up the stairs comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can provide for your Old Jamestown, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Old Jamestown, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Old Jamestown, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Old Jamestown, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop a successful plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Old Jamestown, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Old Jamestown, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually caused by:
A licensed physical therapist in Old Jamestown, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Old Jamestown, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Old Jamestown, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Old Jamestown, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Old Jamestown, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.