Mobility in Valles Mines, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Valles Mines, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like walking up the stairs without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Valles Mines, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on the couch. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Valles Mines, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your autonomy back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Valles Mines, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Valles Mines, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Valles Mines, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture independently. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to perform every day in order to put food on the table for your Valles Mines, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Valles Mines, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Valles Mines, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Valles Mines, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and formulate a successful strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Valles Mines, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Valles Mines, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Having equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A professional physical therapist in Valles Mines, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Valles Mines, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Valles Mines, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Valles Mines, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Valles Mines, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.