Mobility in Robertsville, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Robertsville, MO offers safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief now by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Robertsville, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This includes anything from moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Robertsville, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your independence back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll develop a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Robertsville, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Robertsville, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Robertsville, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs without limitations. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Robertsville, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Robertsville, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Robertsville, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Robertsville, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Robertsville, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Robertsville, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Having equal muscle balance around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Robertsville, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Robertsville, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Robertsville, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Robertsville, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Robertsville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.