Mobility in Howell, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Howell, MO can create safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Howell, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Howell, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your autonomy back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a customized plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to assess functional mobility in Howell, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Howell, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Howell, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs without limitations does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to play with, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Howell, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Howell, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Howell, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Howell, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and formulate a successful game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Howell, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Howell, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually due to:
A professional physical therapist in Howell, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If required, a physical therapist in Howell, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Howell, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Howell, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Mobility in Howell, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We take a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.