Mobility in Bismarck, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Bismarck, MO can implement safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like picking up their kids without pain, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Bismarck, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to a different one, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Bismarck, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your freedom. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll develop a personalized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Bismarck, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Bismarck, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Bismarck, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed independently. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Bismarck, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Bismarck, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Bismarck, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Bismarck, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Bismarck, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Bismarck, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A professional physical therapist in Bismarck, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Bismarck, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Bismarck, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Bismarck, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Bismarck, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.