Mobility in Green Park, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Green Park, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to get results and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean walking up the stairs without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Green Park, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Green Park, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Green Park, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone close by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Green Park, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Green Park, MO
Of course, simply rolling over in bed without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your children to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to perform every day in order to provide for your Green Park, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Green Park, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Green Park, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Green Park, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Green Park, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Green Park, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Green Park, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Green Park, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Green Park, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Green Park, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Green Park, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We pride ourselves on our an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.