Mobility in Manchester, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Manchester, MO can implement solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Manchester, MO residents that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Manchester, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely move around in their home environment. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Manchester, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to assess functional mobility in Manchester, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Manchester, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Manchester, MO
Needless to say, simply walking up the stairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Manchester, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Manchester, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Manchester, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Manchester, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop a successful game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Manchester, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Manchester, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Manchester, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Manchester, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Manchester, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Manchester, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Manchester, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.