Mobility in Schluersburg, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Schluersburg, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and comfort as soon as possible by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as rolling over in bed without pain, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Schluersburg, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Schluersburg, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your freedom back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to assess functional mobility in Schluersburg, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Schluersburg, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Schluersburg, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without limitations. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your children to play with, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Schluersburg, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Schluersburg, MO occupational therapists are essential to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Schluersburg, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Schluersburg, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Schluersburg, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Schluersburg, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically due to:
A professional physical therapist in Schluersburg, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Schluersburg, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Schluersburg, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Schluersburg, MO include:
- Total Knee Replacement Physical Therapy
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
Mobility in Schluersburg, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We practice a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.