Mobility in Ellisville, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Ellisville, MO offers safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Ellisville, MO residents that may mean getting in and out of a chair without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Ellisville, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely get around their home. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on the couch. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Ellisville, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you restore your independence. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a personalized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Ellisville, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Ellisville, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Ellisville, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs pain-free. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day so that you can provide for your Ellisville, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Ellisville, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Ellisville, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Ellisville, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and formulate an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Ellisville, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Ellisville, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly due to:
A licensed physical therapist in Ellisville, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Ellisville, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Ellisville, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Ellisville, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Ellisville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.