Mobility in Matson, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Matson, MO can create safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean picking up their grandchildren without pain, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Matson, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This includes anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one place to another, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Matson, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Matson, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Matson, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Matson, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed independently. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Matson, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Matson, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Matson, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Matson, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and formulate a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Matson, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Matson, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
- Vision issues
- A vestibular disorder, or something in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the sense of awareness ingrained in our muscles and joints
A licensed physical therapist in Matson, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Matson, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Matson, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Matson, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Matson, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location that works best for you.