Mobility in Moscow Mills, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Moscow Mills, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Moscow Mills, MO residents that is as simple as picking up their grandchildren without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Moscow Mills, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes anything from getting in and out of bed or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on a chair. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Moscow Mills, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you restore your independence. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Moscow Mills, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Moscow Mills, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Moscow Mills, MO
Needless to say, simply rolling over in bed independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day so that you can provide for your Moscow Mills, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Moscow Mills, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Moscow Mills, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Moscow Mills, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop an effective strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Moscow Mills, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Moscow Mills, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
A licensed physical therapist in Moscow Mills, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Moscow Mills, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Moscow Mills, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Patient education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Moscow Mills, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Moscow Mills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.