Mobility in Warrenton, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Warrenton, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like walking up the stairs comfortably, while others need to get back to serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Warrenton, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Warrenton, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you regain your independence. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Warrenton, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone standing by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Warrenton, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Warrenton, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed comfortably. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can provide for your Warrenton, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Warrenton, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Warrenton, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Warrenton, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Warrenton, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Warrenton, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A licensed physical therapist in Warrenton, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Warrenton, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Warrenton, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Warrenton, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Warrenton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We take a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.