Mobility in Meacham Park, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Meacham Park, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to get results and that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and a pain-free daily life now by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like picking up their grandchildren without pain, while for others it may mean serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Meacham Park, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to a different one, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Meacham Park, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you restore your freedom. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Meacham Park, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone close by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Meacham Park, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Meacham Park, MO
Needless to say, simply being to move between chairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to earn a living for your Meacham Park, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Meacham Park, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Meacham Park, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Meacham Park, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Meacham Park, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Meacham Park, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically due to:
A professional physical therapist in Meacham Park, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Meacham Park, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Meacham Park, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Meacham Park, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Meacham Park, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We take a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.