Mobility in Imperial, MO. Our bodies are designed to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Imperial, MO can implement treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible mobility and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as walking up the stairs comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Imperial, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This includes anything from moving around in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting down. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Imperial, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Imperial, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Imperial, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Imperial, MO
Of course, simply being to move between chairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to perform every day in order to provide for your Imperial, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Imperial, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Imperial, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Imperial, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Imperial, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Imperial, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A licensed physical therapist in Imperial, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Imperial, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Imperial, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Imperial, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Imperial, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.