Mobility in Arcadia, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Arcadia, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal movement health and comfort now by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like rolling over in bed comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Arcadia, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one place to another, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Arcadia, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your independence back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Arcadia, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Arcadia, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Arcadia, MO
Obviously, simply rolling over in bed independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Arcadia, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Arcadia, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Arcadia, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Arcadia, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Arcadia, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Arcadia, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Problems with balance are commonly caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Arcadia, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Arcadia, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Arcadia, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Arcadia, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Arcadia, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.