Mobility in Bonne Terre, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Bonne Terre, MO offers solutions that have been proven to get results and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief now by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Bonne Terre, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete daily tasks. This can be anything from moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one surface to another, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Bonne Terre, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your independence back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Bonne Terre, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Bonne Terre, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Bonne Terre, MO
To be sure, simply walking up the stairs comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Bonne Terre, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Bonne Terre, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Bonne Terre, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Bonne Terre, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Bonne Terre, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Bonne Terre, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are usually due to:
A licensed physical therapist in Bonne Terre, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Bonne Terre, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Bonne Terre, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Bonne Terre, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Bonne Terre, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.