Mobility in Sherman, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Sherman, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Sherman, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This includes anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one place to a different one, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Sherman, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your freedom back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Sherman, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Sherman, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Sherman, MO
To be sure, simply walking up the stairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your children to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to provide for your Sherman, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Sherman, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Sherman, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Sherman, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Sherman, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Sherman, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
- Problems with vision
- A vestibular issue, or something in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, or the network between your sensory receptors and your nervous system
An experienced physical therapist in Sherman, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Sherman, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Sherman, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Sherman, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Sherman, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We employ a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.