Mobility in Arnold, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Arnold, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean rolling over in bed without pain, while others need to get back to serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Arnold, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete daily tasks. This includes simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Arnold, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a personalized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Arnold, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Arnold, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Arnold, MO
Needless to say, simply being to move between chairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Arnold, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Arnold, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Arnold, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Arnold, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and develop a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Arnold, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Arnold, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically due to:
A professional physical therapist in Arnold, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Arnold, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Arnold, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Arnold, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Arnold, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We take a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.